Sleeping Beauty and I share very little in common.
Sure, my dad used to say I’m a princess but REM-cycle-wise (I just coined that phrase) – I’m more like that girl from “the Ring” (who never sleeps), so I try to make the most of the time I do get some shut-eye. Seeing as most of us don’t have a schedule flexible enough to fit in a 100 year nap (but we still would’t mind waking up “fresh as dew”) – I’ve put together a few ideas on how to maximise your beauty-sleep.
Are you with me? 😉
“While You Were Sleeping”: Overnight Beauty Tips
1. Nobody likes neglected feet! Why not show your feet some love? Before bedtime, massage some Vaseline (or coconut oil) onto the rough skin on the bottom of your feet and put on a pair of socks (preferably cotton). The socks help lock the moisture in, making sure you rise and shine to a pair of super-soft feet!
2. Tend to wake up with puffy eyes? Try to sleep on your back and add an extra pillow to your pillow game – this will allow the fluids around your eyes to drain better overnight, and will help minimise puffiness. In the morning, applying an eye-cream that lists caffeine as one of its ingredients will also help ease the swelling.
3. For a brighter smile, try this home-made whitening trick: Before bedtime, apply some baking soda directly on your teeth, wait 5-6 minutes and rinse well (limit this trick to once a week as it may wear your enamel).
4. Your complexion would probably thankfully accept a boost while you’re catching some Z’s. Before you get into bed, apply a nourishing beauty treatment (just make sure you put a towel on your pillow to avoid staining your sheets) and you’ll wake up to a more glowing you! I like Dermalogica’s MultiVitamin Power Recovery Masque.
5. Repair damaged hair during your slumber! Use the hours you’re “out” to hydrate your tired tresses. Before bedtime, apply a reparative, nourishing masque (like this one, by Kerastase) or coconut oil (for a natural, more affordable alternative) to your hair (feel free to avoid your roots for a less greasy vibe) and let them do wonders to your hair, without any effort on your behalf.
6. Nails looking a bit dry lately? Rub some Vitamin E oil or a bit of coconut oil directly to your nails and cuticles and come morning- they’ll be singing a different tune…
Got a few of your own overnight tricks? I’d love to hear them! Feel free to share in the comment section, or drop me a line